Saturday, June 2, 2012

Vacation Knitting, Fast and Slow

We just returned from an annual road trip to the Grandparents' house. Road trips are made for knitting. I love being stuck in the car for hours (12 this time - one way.) with nothing to do but talk to the hubbo and knit like mad.

This time I took along two projects - one fast and easy, and one slow and interesting. The whole trip I switched back and forth depending on mood and made good progress on both.

My fast project is a mitered and striped baby blanket, knit in the round for my older sister and her baby due this summer.

2012 Baby Blanket Megan

I made sure to complete the center of the blanket (which required double-pointed needles) at home before we left. I am notorious for loosing DPN's in the car... This blanket is knit in my go-to yarn for baby blankets - Caron Simply Soft. It is washable, inexpensive, and super soft. And, it really does knit up nice.

My slow project was VERY slow going. I am making the Tuckernuck Cardigan from Interweave Knits Winter 2010 for Helen's fall sweater and hopefully I will be making a mini version for Clare as well. It is my first cabled project since a washcloth I knit when I was first learning to knit. To make sure I could do it properly I even made a swatch!

2012 Fall Sweater Helen 2

This yarn is lovely. It is Berroco Vintage in a soft heathered lilac. I love it.

2012 Fall Sweater Helen 3

I had to pull out and re-knit the foundation row about four times before I got it right! The braided cable pattern was really pretty easy to memorize, and the sweater is designed to be knit with almost no seaming so hopefully I can build up a little more knitting speed and finish these in time for fall.

Overall I am very happy with the progress I made on our trip, and the girls really did well in the car. We made sure to stop often at parks and playgrounds where Helen could run, and Clare needed lots of hugging during stops... it is very difficult to explain to a 9 month old why she is stuck in her car seat all day.

Helen is already begging to go back to see her Grandparents... and their guinea pig :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, do not reproduce any content from this site without my written permission. You can reach me directly at lonestar(dot)knits(at)yahoo(dot)com. Thank you.