Sunday, August 8, 2010

Adventures in Butter Making: Part 2

The Strawberry-Pear Butter is complete and delicious!


Here is how I did it:


  • Peeled, cored, sliced, and pulverized in the food processor 8 pounds of pears.
  • Chopped 9 cups of strawberries.
  • Cooked the pears and strawberries in my Crockpot w 2 1/2 cups of water on high for 4 hours, stirring once.
  • Strained out the large bits of strawberries. (just most of them, didn't worry too much about getting them all out)
  • Measured how many cups of cooked fruit were left (I had 10 cups).
  • Measured and stirred in 1 1/2 cups of sugar for every 2 cups of fruit. (7 1/2 cups for me)
  • Cooked in Crockpot on Low for 10 hours (stirring occasionally) (it probably didn't need to cook that long, but I went to bed.)
  • Stir the mixture really really well and put a small amount on a plate to make sure it stays together.  This is how you know it is done.
  • Carefully fill canning jars and seal, use your favorite canning method (I used a water bath), label and enjoy!
I ended up with about 10 cups of fruit butter.  We already tested it out on whole wheat English muffins, sorry no pictures - we ate them up too fast!

Two websites I found helpful:

Sweet Preservation
Canning Basics

The original recipe for the butter came from the book Clearly Delicious compliments of my local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, do not reproduce any content from this site without my written permission. You can reach me directly at lonestar(dot)knits(at)yahoo(dot)com. Thank you.