David's vest is complete! It has been one of those projects that never ends and gets reinvented twenty times over! I purchased the yarn for this project back in 2006, started a sweater pattern, hated it, ripped it out, started another, decided it was too small, ripped it out. I used some of the yarn here and there for other small projects, and then when getting back to making something for my dear, patient husband... decided on a vest.
An easy vest.
The Peter Easy from Berroco to be exact.
I made a few minor modifications to make it even easier. I cast on the front and back together to knit in the round so that I wouldn't have huge seams to sew up in the end.
When I reached the arm shaping, I switched to working on the front and back separately. The decreases around the arms and necks I used were "k1 ssk" for left sides and "k2tog k1" for right sides. This leaves a really nice clean looking edge to pick up stitches for the arm and neck ribbing.
Around the neck, I followed the patterns instructions exactly, but around the arms I only picked up 112 stitches (fewer then recommended). This just seemed the natural number to pick up, and made for nice smooth arm ribbing.
I am very happy with how this turned out (and David is too!) though now I just need to convince him to model it for a photo!!!