Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Organizing a Closet for Two Children

Two Kids in one closet

Fitting two children into one closet can be a challenge... especially if you are trying to fit ALL their clothing.  I have a few tricks I would like to share about how I have organized my girls' closet, and if you click the photo above, it will take you to Flickr where I have labeled the photo with what is stored in each drawer.

How to have two kids clothing in one closet without chaos:

  1. Keep clothes separate. Just because they share a closet does not mean their clothes need to be all mixed up together.
  2. Have a system. Our system is simple: tops on hangers, bottoms in drawers.  The only exceptions are pj tops and onesies... I like those in the drawers. Another mini system is that empty hangers get moved to the center. This helps keep the clothes separate and makes grabbing hangers when you are ready to hang clean clothes easier.
  3. Only keep the essentials in the closet. We store all out of season clothing and future "grow into it" clothes in labeled plastic bins under the daybed or in the garage.
  4. Make it easy. We keep all the shoes tossed together in the crate because it is easy for everyone (even our two-year old to put them away. Her drawer is also the bottom drawer so that she can easily reach her clothes. I also put labels inside the drawers to "help" my sweet husband when he is putting away the girls' clothes.
Under Bed Storage
Under the bed.

Labeling Clothing Drawers
Helpful labels.

Now, if only I could keep my own closet this organized! Any tips??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, do not reproduce any content from this site without my written permission. You can reach me directly at lonestar(dot)knits(at)yahoo(dot)com. Thank you.