Monday, April 2, 2012

Cooking for Baby: Pureed Pears

Baby Clare is now 7 1/2 months old. I have been very slowly introducing a few solid foods into her diet as she shows a lot of interest in dinnertime activities. She has now had occasional little tastes of brown rice cereal, oatmeal, banana, avocado, butternut squash, mashed potatoes, and ice cream (oops.).

Today I pulled out my absolute favorite baby food cook book: Cooking for Baby by Lisa Barnes. You will find the newer addition of the book here: Cooking for Baby: Wholesome, Homemade, Delicious Foods for 6 to 18 Months.


           


I always recommend this book to new moms who are interested in preparing homemade foods for their babies because the recipes are simple, the information is solid, and the pictures are beautiful.

Pureed Pears were on the menu today since we have some absolutely lovely and sweet pears right now. I quartered and cored two pears (keeping the skins on). Steamed them for about 5 minutes. Let them cool and used a spoon to remove the skins. Then it was into the food processor with them and in moments we had Pear Puree!

2 pureed pears filled 1 1/2 ice trays leaving just enough for Clare to lick the bowl clean :) I use these special "Baby" ice trays: Fresh Baby Trays. I like the ice-cube size because it is easy to customize... one cube of pear mixed with one cube of green beans or some other puree. After they are completely frozen I just pop the cubes out of the trays and put them in a labeled freezer bag so that I can use the trays again.










1 comment:

  1. Hey... I just thought of a good baby gift for me this time around. :) Since I have my food processor now, I'd love to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete

Please, do not reproduce any content from this site without my written permission. You can reach me directly at lonestar(dot)knits(at)yahoo(dot)com. Thank you.