Saturday, May 2, 2009

Lama Day


How could I pass up a day of lama shearing and spinning with my Wednesday knitting group? We all met today at the Berry's lama farm just outside of town. The Berry's host a yearly shearing open house where families from all around bring their lama's for haircuts.


Lamas arrive and wait patiently to be sheared.


Before and After.


Amazingly, some owners do not want to keep or sell the wool, so the local fiber arts maniacs come out to collect the unwanted to card and spin to their hearts content.


I even got to try my hand at spinning, though it was very temporary... about the length of time to snap the photo!


All of the lama's were just beautiful, and many were for sale.


The spinning and carding definitely drew a lot of attention, and many owners tried their had at carding, though most just wanted to watch in awe as their lama's wool became yarn.





Overall, Lama's and people alike had a great day of socializing, cooking out, shearing, and spinning. I even made some good progress on one of my sweaters for little Helen. Next year, I might just have to bring home some wool for myself.

I have now realized the utter misspelling of Llama. oops.

2 comments:

  1. You should buy one of those llamas. I hear they make good pets... and you have a nice big yard for them! The only thing is - if you buy one, you need to buy another because llamas like to live in pairs. They are social animals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did think about it, but then I came to my senses... puppies are enough animal for me right now :)

    ReplyDelete

Please, do not reproduce any content from this site without my written permission. You can reach me directly at lonestar(dot)knits(at)yahoo(dot)com. Thank you.