So, this dear sister-in-law was a good example and shared her crafting goals for the year with me, and quite frankly, I was blown away! She is going to finish all of that by the end of the year! wow! And what am I going to finish? Well, at that point... not much.
Not to be out-done, I pulled out unfinished project after unfinished project and did a personal review of the state of my mess. I didn't bother counting, so don't ask how many there were... let's just say it wasn't pretty. And while looking at all those projects, I thought to myself - which of these are really important to me, and which of these should just disappear? - Here is some of what I found:
Things I plan to finish this year (2010)
- Helen's Monster Pants - at this point these where barely started (see previous post: On My Needles). Now these are finished and I am feeling great about it.
- Megan's Morning Mitts - from the "Maine Morning Mitts" pattern, these charming fingerless gloves I began as a birthday present for my sister (her birthday was last March.. oops) but, hurrah! I cast them off my needles last night and they are ready to be posted about and shipped to the great white north where they can be used and loved - happy belated birthday Meggers :)
- Mother's Turtleback Sweater - still plugging away on this one, but it is so slow going that I am tempted to give it up.
- Helen's Christmas Stocking - She is ready to celebrate her second Christmas, and poor girl still doesn't have a stocking. I am currently finalizing the pattern details and colors on this one... she will have a stocking this December - I am determined.
- A Sweater for Me - believe it or not, I have never made myself a sweater... that is about to change. I have chosen the pattern, ordered the yarn, and am patiently waiting until 2011 to start this daunting and exciting task. More on this "Dream Sweater" to come in a later post!
- Applique Table Runner and Window Valences - During the summer I drew up plans for the perfect table runner and Valences for my sweet little kitchen. And, I already bought the fabric. Have I started? No. I am still hesitant about the whole applique part, but one of things that I love about crafting is the wide range of new things to learn! So, I bought a book on applique techniques, and I am determined to make this project happen next year.
- Sun Dress for Helen - this is another project that I already have all the materials for, and the deadline is really spring for it so that she can wear and enjoy it before she grows out of it! A side goal for this one is that the process of making this dress will help me learn how to better follow sewing patterns... something I have never been very good at.
- Helen's baby shrug - she is already too big to wear it.
- Helen's knit jumper - see above.
- 500 million knit washcloths - I just don't like using them so why knit any more. (I have several of these done, just need ends sew in - any takers?)
- Nathan's Sweater - sorry little nephew... it just never happened. Maybe I will try again sometime with a different pattern.
- My shawl/wrap thing - I just don't have much use for it, and it is boring.
- Baby Jacket and Pants - the baby this was for is now almost 3... a little late, and they turned out ugly.
- and Many Others not far enough along to even mention.