Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Real Simple. Real Diapers.

Did you know that this week is International Real Diaper Week?

Pooh in Cloth
Even the toys wear cloth at our house!

The purpose of Real Diaper Week is advocacy and education about cloth diapers. It has been over a year now since I switched my oldest daughter from disposables to cloth, and my new little one has been in cloth now from the start (8 months now!).

I read a really great blog post about the dangers of disposables this week: Why Disposable Diapers are Dirty and Dangerous. I think that it has a lot of great information about why everyone should consider using cloth diapers.  I definitely don't think that choosing cloth makes me a better parent... and I understand why many people use disposables (I even use them occasionally!)... it's just another thing parents should educate themselves about before making the decision that best suits their family.

Right now I am in love with my prefold diapers - they are my go-to diaper for both my girls... and I can't praise my favorite new diaper cover enough: FLIP covers are awesome (which really surprised me since I am not a huge fan of the Bum Genius diapers from the same company).  I might spend some time later this week gushing about prefolds...

To commemorate Real Diaper Week, here is a recap of my cloth diaper journey:

December 21, 2010 - Research: Cloth Diapers
January 8, 2011 - The Cloth Diaper Experiment
March 25, 2011 - Research: Wool Diaper Covers
September 12, 2011 - Cloth Diapers and the Newborn
September 19, 2011 - About Cloth Diapers Size Small to Large
October 10, 2011 - Cloth Diapers: My Wash Routine
October 25, 2011 - Cloth Diapering Products I Love
November 8, 2011 - Econobum - your secret is safe with me...

I started cloth diapering mainly because I wanted to save money. Now, even if I had unlimited funds... I would STILL CLOTH DIAPER. Though, I might splurge on some really cute expensive diaper covers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, do not reproduce any content from this site without my written permission. You can reach me directly at lonestar(dot)knits(at)yahoo(dot)com. Thank you.