Tuesday, October 16, 2012

The Allure of Hand Quilting

Recently my mother completed a beautiful quilt for my newest nephew. This reminded me of the equally gorgeous gift she gave to my first daughter, Helen. For years I have been meaning to hand stitch around the lovely floral appliques on the quilt, but just now I am pulling it out to work on.

Helen's Quilt

Why is hand quilting so alluring to me? Well, mainly because it is slow and quiet. I have never really enjoyed sewing with a machine - which is why I knit so much! I feel secluded from my family when machine sewing, and it is loud no matter how "quiet" the machine claims to be. You also have to sit at a table facing the machine - not sitting in a comfy chair watching your children play or chatting with friends.

However, I do love working with fabrics... so I have always wanted to do a little hand quilting. How perfect that my mother is able to make these beautiful applique quilts that I can embellish at my own speed - slow.

Helen's Quilt

Do you like to sew by hand?

2 comments:

  1. It looks great. I love your choice of fabrics. As to your question, I like sewing by hand... but I love the more instant gratification of machine sewing.

    ReplyDelete

Please, do not reproduce any content from this site without my written permission. You can reach me directly at lonestar(dot)knits(at)yahoo(dot)com. Thank you.